Summer Academic Orientation (SAO)
June 19th, 2014 – July31st, 2014
Students must register in advance. We have only a certain number of spaces per program/per day. Your SAO day runs from approximately 9:30am - 3:30pm inclusive, and IS NOT a "drop-in" program. Please plan for a full day, the program runs Monday to Friday.
If you are an International Student, or joining us from outside of Ontario, you will be eligible for one of our telephone advising sessions. You may register for telephone advising starting in early June 2014. Please see our FAQ section for more information.
SAO is held in the University Community Centre
Student and Guest Registration
Register online beginning in early June.
Please contact Leslie Gloor Duncan if you require information in an alternate format, or if any other arrangements can make this event accessible to you.
Western ONECard (student ID card)
The photo upload service for your Western ONECard will be available shortly through Student Services. Western ONECards will be generated throughout the summer and distributed when you come to Western in September. We strongly encourage you to take advantage of the upload service to ensure that your card is ready for you when you arrive during Orientation week.
Summer Academic Orientation (SAO) enables first-year students to get connected, learn more about Western, explore our campus and meet members of our community before they begin school in September. SAO participants have the opportunity to:
- Select courses with a professor or academic advisor
- Create an individual course timetable with the help of our student leaders
- Register for courses and leave registered in courses
- Pick up your copy of the Residence Handbook
- Learn about Western services & university life
- Participate in an optional campus/residence tour (view a traditional style and suite style residence)
- Meet other first-year students in your program
If you would like to enroll in a French course please note: Students who have taken 12U French should enroll in French 1900E or French 1910. Your advisor at SAO will help you with selecting this course at SAO. Please note that any student having already completed grade 12U French may take the placement test in order to be placed in a higher French course. All other students who have not completed 12U French must take the placement test prior to enrolling in any French course. French Placement Test Online.
Please print your results and bring a copy of the results with you to SAO. For more information follow this link, please note that you will not need to forward your results to the French Department if you bring them to your SAO day.
How to Prepare:
You are required to come with your Western login information. You will not be able to register for courses if you do not have your "Western Identity". If you have questions about your login information or what your "Western Identity" is, please visit: http://www.uwo.ca/its/identity/
Before attending your SAO day, be sure to write down questions you may have about Western, the City of London and/or university in general.
Bring your First Year Calendar and make a list of courses that are required for your program and electives that you are interested in taking. Please bring government-issued photo ID on your SAO Day for all transactions and discussions about your student record and/or tuition account. If you do not have your proper ID, we will not be able to assist you properly.
If you wish to give your parent or someone else the ability to access information or a service on your behalf through the Registrar's Office, please know that you MUST complete the Release of Information that is available on your Student Center. With a Release of Information you can specify the individual to whom you wish to give access and the specific access that you wish to assign to this individual (such as access to obtain tuition fee information, order Official Western letters, or request the completion of third-party forms). You (the student) can revoke this access at any time.
Activating your Western Identity (Personal Computer Account)
Students are required to activate their Western Identity / Personal Computer Account (PCA) prior to SAO. You will need your PIN to active your account. For information on getting your PIN & setting up your account, visit the Student Center Access Guide. You will require this PCA to sign-up for SAO, check your Western email and to login to Western's Student Center to register for courses. Follow this link to sign up for your PCA: http://www.uwo.ca/its/accounting/StudentForm_new.html
To prepare for your Summer Academic Orientation advising appointment, students MUST do the following.
- Review course descriptions and program information in the First-Year Calendar to see the full calendar go to the Western Calendar website
- Complete the Course Selection Worksheet in the First Year Calendar (included in Offer Package)
*Please note that this form MUST be completed prior to faculty advising, and students will be advised on a "first-prepared, first-served" basis.
- If you would like to enroll in a French course please note: Students who have taken 12U French should enroll in French 1900E or French 1910. Your advisor at SAO will help you with selecting this course at SAO. Please note that any student having already completed grade 12U French may take the placement test in order to be placed in a higher French course. All other students who have not completed 12U French must take the placement test prior to enrolling in any French course. French Placement Test Online. Please print your results and bring a copy of the results with you to SAO. For more information follow this link, please note that you will not need to forward your results to the French Department if you bring them to your SAO day
Students with Transfer Credit
If you expect to be awarded transfer credits for prior course work, you will not be able to confirm your SAO day until June 5th at the earliest. If you select an SAO day in July, your appointment will not be confirmed until approximately 7-10 days prior to your day. Please click here to get tips (Transfer Student Handout pdf) for students with transfer credit.
Important Note: Please be aware that Western University does not support external timetable services. These providers may not have up-to-date and accurate information. If you need assistance with your course selection, please explore your options during your SAO experience.